Wednesday, April 15, 2009

"I dreamed a dream"

You may have heard about Susan Boyle's performance of Les Miserables' "I dreamed a dream", on the U.K.'s Britain's Got Talent.  This effortless talent was showcased last Saturday and by Sunday morning it was all over the net.  She & her performance highlight so many classic cliches.  What great lessons we can learn from this showcase! "We shouldn’t judge a book by it’s cover", “It’s never too late to follow your dreams!”, ...I could go on. 


I have to be honest, when I received this link, I think I watched it five or six times.  I was captivated, stunned, not only by her natural talent but also by her seeming lack of confidence.  It occurred to me that she may have felt accomplishment from simply walking on the stage and performing.  She quietly tried to exit the stage as if to say, "you wouldn't have anything to say to me anyway".  I'm guessing from her body language she's had a lifetime of that.  

What a wonderful reminder of our societies obsession with judging people by their looks, by our first impressions.  This talent teaches us all that sometimes we need to put down our judgments and look beneath the surface. You never know, the jewel of a lifetime may be waiting for us in undiscovered places.


Until next time, when we chit-chat again!
T.

No comments: