Saturday, August 29, 2009

August Flick Picks '09

Julie and Julia began as a blog, one woman's quest to cook her way through Julia Child's cookbook. More so she wanted to complete something in a never ending world of friends who seemed to be well on the beaten path.
Under the guidance of filmmaker Nora Ephron, the movie manuvers it's way through two novels, one by Julie and one about Julia. Ephron's effort settles on a funny, warm and extremly enjoyable.
">


Post Grad takes a comical look at life after graduation. You know when you're the one who knows what the plan is, but the plan isn't keeping up with you. Frankly in this time of economic distress, I'm sure one or two adults have also experienced this as well. As all good stories go we sometimes figure out that all the things we've been striving for were right at our finger tips.

Bandslam has a good story about not allowing what other people think of you hold you back. Pre-teens will enjoy this one.


500 days of summer is a love story that reminds us that at the end of the day there are other seasons.


Orphan is a thriller for sure with an unbelievable revelation at the end. This one will shift uncomfortably in your seat.


Funny People, weren't so funny to me. The film laments on, and on, and on... with what could have been a good story. It actually would have worked more as drama than a comedy.


The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard...I had to ask myself before I entered the theater why I let someone talk me into seeing this with them. When I left the theater I seriously considered ending our friendship. There were a few funny moments but it's mostly like hanging with a self indulgent friend...not my idea of a good time.


Until next time, when we can chit-chat again!
T.

No comments: