Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving 2009!

I wanted to write something really profound about the meaning of thanksgiving. I wrote, crumpled the paper and started over.

All day I’ve been hearing tales of parents with ungrateful children. I heard stories about spouses with ungrateful partners or former spouses who push too many buttons.

It dawned on me that the old adage, you don’t know what you got ‘till it’s gone, is so true.

If you offer a kid candy they will immediately love the one who is willing to give it to them. The truth of love though will be told in the end. When they look up to see who is always fulfilling their wants and needs. If you always take advantage of your spouse, it won’t last forever. If you always lean on friend remember that some days they may need to lean in your direction.

Then I heard from an old friend. He’s in a great relationship and is really happy with where his life is. He said, “This is how it’s supposed to be. We consciously make the effort not to take advantage of each other.”

There it is! That profound thing I was looking for.

So I challenge you today!

Look at your parent, your children, your spouse and your friends. Do you need to turn things around? Ask someone you lean on what you can do for them.

Be grateful for the people in your life, because one day you’ll have to settle for being thankful that you knew them.

Have a Safe and Happy Thanksgiving!


Until next time, when we can chit-chat again!
~ T.

No comments: