Monday, June 7, 2010

What's in a spill?

Last weekend, I was walking in my hallway when I felt wet carpet under my feet. "Oh crap, I'm sure that means a broken pipe on the other side of my closet", I thought.

Now the plumber that was hired is no novice. He went about his task diligently fixing the part in the tap that was broken; thankfully nothing in the wall was damaged. He thought he was all done, went outside turned on the main water source and came back in to turn on the tap. Well that's when it all went downhill. Water went wild in the bathtub drenching not only him but also it shot across the bathroom. After a mad dash to turn off the main source and some more fixing, he eventually got it all fixed and went on his way.

I started thinking about the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. It seems that no matter how professional you are things unfortunately happen. Since there isn't a main source to turn it off, I think the key is to own up to the mistakes being made or be honest about the trial and error process. Then we the consumer have to listen keenly and hear what's being said.

Some people I know would like to boycott BP. Frankly I think that would not be a good idea to put more pressure on the US economy. Aside from the BP employees who may lose their job, we could be putting many small business owners, who run gas stations, out of business. There has to be a better way to get our point across.


Until next time, when we can chit-chat again!
~T.

No comments: