Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Long Line of Unemployment...



While politicians and voters on both sides of the isle continue to point fingers about what's causing unemployment, CBS' fascinating piece on 99ers seems to hit the nail on the head.   In the CBS 60 minutes - 99 Weeks: When Unemployment Benefits Run Out piece, it is evident that he who feels it knows it.  The truth is, so many that haven't been affected by actually loosing a job or had long term unemployment just don't seem to understand the real struggles of people on the unemployment line.  They also seem to have the loudest voices in this past election season.  So many, who used to go to food pantries to make donations are now joining the line to make a collection.

In Yahoo's: The Best States For Business And Careers there were interesting revelations about what some states are doing to help the situation.   Some state generated tax incentives to attract companies and dear I say it JOBS!  To complicate things more, companies used the recession as an excuse to become even more fiscally "conservative".  In the AP's: Unemployed find old jobs now require more skills we find that companies are expecting far more of their employees and generally at the same salary or less.  This is forcing many on the unemployment line to head back to the books to stay competitive.

Adding further insult to injury Yahoo's 3 Strikes Against Curvy Women reveals that thin is still in...at least in the work place.  Obese women seem to earn on average 5% less than regular size women.  I can guarantee you that their work isn't 5% less.

I know a business owner who takes Friday's off (so that he can fly his co-op plane); Refused to give a raise to anyone in his office for the past few years because of the economy; fired his office manager and replaced her with someone cheaper and he constantly complains about what the government has done to the country.  I suspect some businesses aren't as strapped as they say they are.  They just want to make sure they have a store house of cash...just in case.

At the end of the day, I don't think we can depend on government entities to solve all our problems.  However, I don't think we should sit idly by while others are suffering.

"When I chased after money, I never had enough. When I got my life on purpose and focused on giving of myself and everything that arrived into my life, then I was prosperous." ~ Wayne Dyer 

Until next time, when we can chit-chat again! 
~T.

No comments: